This mosque is situated at the entrance of Eastern Gate (gate no 3) of Karbala. The structure is made of lime & stone coated with white plaster. Much like an 'Eidgah', this structure has only a western wall indicating the direction of 'Qibla' (khana-e-Kaba) in Mecca. It has five 'mehrabs' in the western wall and an arched opening in each northern and southern wall. The prayer chamber measures 42' 9'' by 8' 4'.5''. and the courtyard of the mosque is 42'9'' by 33'. The ground of the mosque was raised almost to the level of terrace. The chambers which were beneath it are closed with earth. Since it was built on a terrace that is why the other three side walls were only few feet high, not as high as the front (western) wall. It had no roof and was covered by a 'Shamiana', which is why it was called Qanati Masjid.
This mosque was in dilapidated conditions and was illegally encroached. In the last decade many times momineen (devotees) tried to perform prayer in this mosque, but did not succeed. In December 2010 A.D., devotees including ladies and small children sat on a sit in protest in the courtyard of this mosque, which was completely ruined. They all were taken into detention by the Delhi Police. Delhi Police even did not spare the kids. After the demonstrations against the police action, detention of momineen including ladies & children and many more sacrifices, Anjuman-E-Haideri (regd.) has managed to restore this mosque. Regular prayers in Jama’at (congregation) are being held here since then.
Temporarily a new water proof 'Shamiana' (tent) has been installed in 2014, after fighting a legal battle in the Honorable High Court of Delhi. Further efforts have been made by the Anjuman-E-Haideri (regd.) to built a masonry structure. A case for water and electricity connections is still pending before the High Court of Delhi.
Monuments of Delhi, compiled by Maulvi Zaffar Hassan, Vol.1 (2008 A.D.) Originally Published in 1916 A.D.
Fall of the Mughal Empire by Jadunath Sarkar, Vol. 1 (4th Edition, 1991) Originally Published in 1932.
Aasar-us-Sanadeed by Sir Sayyed Ahmad Khan, (2014 A.D.) Originally Published in 1847 A.D.
Waaqiyaat-e-Darul Hukumat by Bashiruudin Ahmad Dehlvi, Vol. 3, Published in 1919 A.D.
Dilli ki Dargah Shah-e-Mardan by Dr. Khaliq Anjum, Published in 1988 A.D.
Archaeological survey of India (ASI) reports.
National Archives of India, New Delhi
British Council Library, New Delhi
Please do keep visiting the website for the latest updates and keep remembering us in your prayers.