Zeenat ki Masjid


This mosque was situated towards north of 'Naqqar Khana'. This structure was built by some Zeenat Begum, a devotee of Imam Ali ibn Abu Talib (as).  The structure was made of bricks. It contained three compartments each entered by an arched doorway and covered by a dome. Central Arch was 7' BY 4.5''.  The prayer chamber measured 25'3'' by 13' and the courtyard of the mosque was 45' by 38'. A 'Baoli' was also built at the south of the mosque.  However the mosque was in dilapidated condition and completely demolished during the 'emergency of India' in 1975 A.D. (1395 A.H.)  Baoli was also in ruined state, contained no water. It was filled with the wreckage and debris of the mosque. Presently courtyard of the mosque is partially illegally encroached by the residents. A coal depot is also running at this place.

Zeenat Begum had resided near this mosque and spent all her life as 'khadima' of Shah-E-Mardan. Upon her death she was buried near the mosque.


 

 

References:-

Monuments of Delhi, compiled by Maulvi Zaffar Hassan, Vol.1 (2008 A.D.) Originally Published in 1916 A.D.

Fall of the Mughal Empire by Jadunath Sarkar, Vol. 1 (4th Edition, 1991) Originally Published in 1932.

Aasar-us-Sanadeed by Sir Sayyed Ahmad Khan, (2014 A.D.) Originally Published in 1847 A.D.

Waaqiyaat-e-Darul Hukumat by Bashiruudin Ahmad Dehlvi, Vol. 3, Published in 1919 A.D.

Dilli ki Dargah Shah-e-Mardan by Dr. Khaliq Anjum, Published in 1988 A.D.

Archaeological survey of  India (ASI) reports.

National Archives of India, New Delhi

British Council Library, New Delhi

Encyclopaedia Britannica

 

 

 

Please do keep visiting the website for the latest updates and keep remembering us in your prayers.

 


 

Featured Views

Simon Ockley on Hazrat Ali

(1678-1720)  Professor of Arabic at the University of Cambridge.

q       “One thing particularly deserving to be noticed is that his mother was delivered of him at Mecca, in the very temple itself; which never happened to any one else.”

[History of the Saracens, London, 1894, p. 331]